Something To Listen To

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Have A Date Tonight

I met this guy some years ago
And we became really good friends
Life was hard, but times were good
And he was there
As always, by my side
He was my confidante and best friend
But time and distance came between us
Family and friends separated us
Circumstances rose like mountains
And I thought he abandoned me
He’d told me he’d always be there
But as the burdens of life
Settled on my shoulders
And I began to break under their load,
I looked around and could not see him
And so I got lost
Because without him I was nothing
And could be nothing

The years came and went
He was always on my mind
In the recesses of my subconscious
Sometimes, when I thought of
The good old days he’d resurface
Rising into my consciousness
A canker of unforgiving resentment
And so I stopped dreaming of the past
Hoping that if I could move forward
He would become forgotten
But without him I could do nothing
Not even forget him
I could only forgive him
And once again reach for him

When times were hard,
And life stopped being good,
I remembered my old friend
I remembered his promise
To always be by my side in my time of need
And I was in desperate need
So I went in search for him.
I cried out my need to him
My need for support and shelter,
My need for safe haven
My need for strength
And he answered

We spoke of the old days,
The good old days when he was by my side
And I told him of my struggles
Of the hardships that I had endured
Without his help
Without his guidance
I asked him
Where were you?
I raged at him
Where were you when I
Needed you the most?
When I was lost and hopeless
And drowning?
Why where you not there
When I turned around?

And he said,
I was behind you all the way
You could not see me
Because sometimes,
When it got too rough
For you to make it on your own,
I had to carry you through.

There was nothing I could say.

I have a date with my friend tonight
It is a chance for us to reconnect and
Get back to where we once were
I’m going to put on my pretty dress
And my killer heels
Apply my makeup and do my hair
Put on my perfume
And strut out the house
And we’re going somewhere quiet
Somewhere private
Somewhere where we won’t be interrupted
Because I have a date with Jesus tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog